Leading up to labor I kept hearing Only Human by Christina Perri. This may seem like an odd choice for a "labor song" but it was fitting for me. With Ami's birth I had a hard time coping during labor and I gave up. And I promised myself that I wouldn't do that this time. And that IF I lost my control I wouldn't give up. I would get back on track. I told myself that because I am "only human" I can't expect to be in control the whole time. And I would have to give up control. Here is the song and the lyrics:
Early in labor (when I sent Andrew to work) I spent about an hour or so in the tub. And while I was in there A Thousand Years by Christina Perri came on. It was exactly what I needed to hear. I was past my due date and this was weighing heavily on me. But when I heard these lyrics:
I have died every day waiting for you
Darling, don't be afraid I have loved you
For a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more
Darling, don't be afraid I have loved you
For a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more
I felt some reassurance that my wait was over. And I could finally meet my sweet boy. I had tried to think of every contraction as "one step closer" to meeting my baby. And the song also reiterated that. This song was a great comfort and great preparation for the labor ahead.
When Andrew returned home from work we turned on music downstairs and this song came on and I loved it. I've heard MANY Andy Grammer songs, and I love all of them. But this song was great for THIS birth. A lot of people think that CHOOSING to go through Natural/Unmedicated birth is plain CRAZY. So. I loved these lyrics:
You can do this, you can do this
You are not a lunatic
Crazy would be changing your mind
You can do this, you can do this
You are not a lunatic
Crazy would be leaving it behind
You are not a lunatic
Crazy would be changing your mind
You can do this, you can do this
You are not a lunatic
Crazy would be leaving it behind
On the way to the hospital one of my favorite songs came on. Beth LOVES to sing this song and so I immediately had a smile on my face (in between contractions that is). Andrew and I said many times that it seemed like labor was going so well, it must have been a dream. So this part of the song was definitely fitting:
I'm never gonna look back, woah
I'm never gonna give it up, noo
just don't wake me now
I'm never gonna give it up, noo
just don't wake me now
While at the hospital I KNOW that we had music on. But I can't say I remember what was playing. I know it was on, and it was comforting. (I LOVE YOU Pandora). But I don't remember having one song that specifically stuck out to me. I love music and I think it has the ability to give us strength, comfort, and even understanding. I wrote this post so that I can remember the songs that helped me through my pregnancy, labor and delivery.
And in case you are wondering. Sweet Baby Zek is doing great. He's growing SO FAST (like 1-2 lbs in the last 10 days) and we are so blessed to have him in our life!
Until Next Time,
Happy Blogging!
No comments:
Post a Comment