Friday, December 28, 2012

Accomplishing Goals

Well, I have A LOT to catch up on on this blog, house projects, holidays, etc. But I'm not quite ready for all that yet. My post today is about goals. 

I've set a lot of goals in my life. A lot of them revolve around weight loss, and I hate that. Last night as I sat in bed thinking about how I've been unsuccessful in most of those goals, I thought about one goal I've completed recently. I knocked it out of the ball park in fact.



When I was pregnant with Ami, I blogged about breastfeeding. You can see that post here. I talked about giving it another shot because it was one big disappointment with Beth. I hate failing, and I really felt like I failed breastfeeding with Beth.

I remember when Beth was a few weeks old, I was talking to Katie Hobson at church. She said, "Hey it didn't work out this time, but you can totally do it with your next baby!" She told me a story about her sister or sister in law, who didn't breastfeed her first, but was successful with all her others. And at the time I just shook my head and said, "yeah, maybe." But it always stuck with me. 

So, when Amielia was born, I had a goal of breastfeeding for 6 weeks. Which seemed really short, and an eternity at the same time.  I questioned everything, my ability to produce milk, if my baby would latch, if jaundice would be an issue we'd have to deal with, if I'd cave and go with what was familiar to me, formula. But I set the goal, and started out on a hard 6 weeks. 


Getting breastfeeding started in the hospital

Happy baby after breastfeeding

I'm really really really happy to say that I blew that goal out 
of the water and breastfed for 
18 MONTHS. 
Some people thought I was crazy for breastfeeding so long, but honestly, when you put so much effort into planning and fight so hard to do something, you don't just stop after a year. 

My happy 1 year old!

When Ami was 6 months old I accepted a position as a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor for Southwest District Health. This position has been wonderful, and it's really shown me the impact breastfeeding can have, which is another reason I didn't stop breastfeeding between 6 and 12 months. 








It wasn't always easy, like every other mom I had latch issues at first, questioned my supply the entire time, Ami decided biting was fun to do off and on for the last 9 months of breastfeeding, and it took patience, lots of it. But I am so happy that I can say I did it. I did it. I breastfed my baby without giving her an ounce of formula. Without giving up. And after 18 months I can say, it was WORTH IT.



Now, on to some other goals that have been pending for YEARS.

Until next time, which I hope is soon, Happy Blogging!

2 comments:

  1. Julie,
    I don't think realized that you had trouble with Beth breastfeeding. I did the same thing you have done. I breastfed each child until they were personally ready to stop. They each were different lengths of time, but I was hassled and haggled and even some of my sisters made rather derogatory remarks, which REALLY surprised me. I would have been your cheerleader if I knew you needed cheerleading, I am so sorry!I have a great book about it, my mom had a hard time at first with me doing total breastfeeding, in the hospital they acted like I had to do it their way, add water...like I was checking Geneil out like a book or something...It all just made me more committed to ding it the way I wanted to. And after a few months Mom said, "You were right...I am so glad you didn't listen to me and that it is working so well for you." She had breastfed your Grandmother and our sister Ronnie, and had only used a bottle after that because that was what the docs were saying was best....I swear it was the formula companies and the docs pushed it and probably got perks from it, or just really believed it themselves. It is so frustrating when people tell you what you SHOULD do, like there are no options but what they did and think is best. I try to encourage people to do what works best for them, but if they want to breastfeed, I will be an advocate for that and stand by them when no one else will. Good work, Good attitude, what a sense of accomplishment and what a happy baby girl you have! I love you all!
    Lanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so wonderful that you breastfed that long!! I breastfed Elise and Ayla til 14mo. and with Ayla I wonder if her allergies would be better even if I did just four months longer? I don't know, I also think it's just her. I am impressed with your accomplishment!!! Great job...especially after you had a hard time with Beth and not just go the "easy" way out with Ami. Breastfeeding is hard, but once you get going, you are right, you just don't want to stop!! You are such a great example!

    ReplyDelete