Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A week of firsts!

So this last week was full of firsts for me.

1. I tried my hand at making homemade fruit leather, peach and pear. (http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_fruit_leather/) I didn't follow the directions exactly, surprise anyone?, and I used wax paper. The leather was stuck to the paper, so I could only salvage a little bit. But what I did eat was yummy. Next time I will use plastic wrap.

2. I utilized the library hold system with great results! My friend Kristin opened my eyes to the public library and a book called "Shiver" by Maggie Stiefvater. (http://www.maggiestiefvater.com/shiver.php) I hadn't used the public library in years (since I got a book here or there in college). I couldn't get it on my usual book place (paperbackswap.com) so I decided to find it at the Boise Library and "hold" it. When I found it, it had quite a few holds for just a few copies, so I figured it would be a while. Luckily, just a week later it was ready for me, and I picked it up before our Thursday Story time. I was finishing another book, so I didn't get to it till Saturday. But once I started reading it I could NOT put it down. I loved the writing, and the unguarded, honest personalities of the characters. I finished it in 4.5 hours. I am planning on reading it again before I return it this week!

3. I bought and plan to read a Breast Feeding book....For those of you that don't know the history, I was unable to breastfeed Beth. It was due to a long labor (20 hours), jaundice (due to ABO incompatibility), and I know now, bad preparation. Breast feeding is NOT easy. But I always assumed that being blessed or "well endowed" (as my mom says) in the chest department meant I could easily breast feed. So I did not plan or research. So when things got difficult and Beth was not doing well, I chose formula. Now, I believe, that in our situation it was the best for her. I never developed a good supply even with large amounts of pumping. And although I sometimes still wonder if I even want to try again with Amielia, I know that I should probably prepare so that we have the best chance of success.

I'm planning to read "Breast Feeding Made Simple." It was recommended to me by a St. Lukes Lactation Nurse, and I'm hoping to get a lot of insight out of the book. I was also informed by the Nurse I spoke with that the more interventions you have during and after labor the harder it can be to breastfeed. For example, the longer you have an IV, the more fluid your body can retain during labor. And often times that fluid is retained in places like your breast tissue. Causing the breasts to swell, making it difficult to have room for your milk to "come in" and to properly latch a baby. So, she advised me to talk to my doctor about how I can shoot for a shorter labor, which is typically the case with the 2nd baby. All of this information is probably old to the breast feeding moms out there. But it's a new world to me. If we don't succeed this time around I have no problem with formula, I would just like to see if with more preparation we can have a better experience.


4. I let Beth attempt to "feed" herself dinner. She never likes to be fed by me, big girl syndrome, so I hoped this would help. It ended up being such a MESS. She had chocolate pudding everywhere, and ravioli and green beans all over the floor. But that's what I have a steam mop for.




5. I wanted to make a pair of maternity pants from some old jeans in my closet. So, I searched out a pattern, (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Maternity-Jeans-Using-Regular-Jeans-an/) called my mom to request her assistance, and went to work. For the stretchy part I used an old down east basics shirt and cut it off at the arm holes. The pattern was great, I only struggled a bit when it came to pinning the t-shirt to the pants. You have to turn the shirt inside out, put the pants inside the shirt, and stretch to pin accurately. Overall it was a great learning experience. We had fun, and the pants turned out great!


Cut the waist band off, and add a curve to the front.
Take a stretchy t-shirt and cut it off right below the arm holes.
Place the shirt over the jeans and pin cut ends together


Sew together, pull the sewn piece up, and Ta-da!


While I was sewing away with my mom Beth and Papa were entertained by Papa's cell phone. Notice that his palm is covered in pen, that teaches him to nap with Beth around!


Since it was Valentine's day, After my project was done Beth made a card for Daddy and I decorated some cookies. They are supposed to resemble lingerie and necklaces. I have to admit the idea was NOT mine, I stole it from Natalie Moon, who had a link on her blog (thanks Nat). After Beth went to bed we enjoyed pizza, ginger ale, and some cookies. It was a relaxing Valentine's Day.


 The last week was fun and I hope to develop more and more talents in the next few weeks. I love to learn about things that can help me be a better person, wife and mother. 

Happy Blogging!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my word, you did a GREAT job on those pants!!! :) They look so comfy and functional!

    I wonder if parchment would stick as much to the fruit leather as the wax paper did; it seems to stick a lot less to everything, but it's still paper... I'll have to give it a try (yep, inspired to make pear fruit leather now! :) and let you know how it turns out! I just can't bring myself to put plastic wrap in the oven, LOL... I bet a silicone liner would work, too... hmm...

    And happy preparation and research on breastfeeding! :) We had a rough time when Kiddo was born, too, and, really, just lucked out after we'd set a deadline to end the insanity. I wasn't eating or drinking enough b/c of the pain meds I was on, and I wasn't sleeping much or holding him much, either, and I've learned that those things can make a HUGE difference. But yeah, I think the "big boobs = lots of milk and easy nursing" perception is really common. I know I never thought I'd have any issues, but between being starved, sleep-deprived, and medicated (or miserable when unmedicated), it was HORRID. Now I'm much better-prepared, because as much as I thought I knew back then, I've learned a TON. Best wishes to you in your research and preparation!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a breastfeeding book you might want to borrow, or look into getting. I really liekd reading through it, it's a bit old school but the info is all there. it's called nursing your baby by karen pryor. Let me know if you want to borrow it or w/e. Also check the library they would probably have books on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juli those cookies were hilarious! Thanks for sharing! It sounds like you had a VERY busy week!! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to tell you that my favorite breastfeeding book is The Nursing Mother's Companion, by Kathleen Huggins. That was the one that saved me when our going got rough. Even though we pulled through, I'm still looking forward to knowing more when we do it again someday! (I am going to drink so much more water that first month than I did with M...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cookies! And you did an amazing job with those pants!!

    ReplyDelete