So, I decided to do a quick update, not knowing if I'll have the time or energy to do it in the days ahead. We had a VERY interesting weekend, and although I feel good about what happened, it still baffles me!
So, at my 38 week appt. on Thursday my doctor did a cervical check. I found out I was 4cm dilated and 75% effaced! YAY! He also decided to go ahead and strip my membranes. (I had this done with Beth, I went into labor a few days later, but I'm not sure if it was related.) My doctor was on call all Thursday night, but would be gone Friday-Monday. So, I scheduled my next appt. for Tuesday, hoping I would already have the baby by then. We left the office and went over to see my Grammy, who was still in the hospital after her stroke. Luckily she is home now. We walked 7 flights up to see her, and 7 flights down afterwards. I had cramping off and on. But nothing consistent.
After we got home Andrew got ready for work and left. And Beth and I decided to go on a walk. I was having a few contractions here and there, but still nothing consistent. I called my mom and decided that it would be best that Beth stayed over at her house that night, in case something happened. I dropped her off at 7pm, and went home to eat some dinner. Around 9pm I started having regular contractions, every 4-5 minutes. They were manageable, so I jumped in the shower, and waited for Andrew to come home. He got home around 10:30, and I asked him to time them. They were 2-4 minutes apart. I wanted to wait another 1-2 hours at home, just to be sure that my labor wouldn't stall (like it did with Beth)....so, we hung out at home. And after another hour they were still 4 minutes apart. So, we went to the hospital.
At check in they told me I was almost 5cm and 80% effaced. My contractions were showing as 3 minutes apart. So after an hour, they decided to admit me. I got my antibiotics started for my Group B Strep. And after that they disconnected my IV and let me go walking. Most people get Penicillin for Group B Strep, but I am allergic. So I have to have Clindamyacin. With this antibiotic they require 8 hours in between doses, and they would like you to have 2 doses. Not having the adequate amount of doses leads to a longer required hospital stay. So, as much as I wanted my labor to go quickly, I knew I needed 8 hours before I could have the 2nd dose. After walking they put me in my L&D room and did a quick check on baby to make sure she was handling contractions well. She did perfectly. And after that they let me get in the tub and bounce on the birth ball. They weren't pushy about being in bed, being monitored, or being checked. So things were going well.
Unfortunately, after about 3 hours of laboring, with contractions about 3-5 minutes apart, I noticed they weren't as strong, and they were getting further apart. I told my nurse I was nervous about stalling in labor again. And she smiled, said just to stay active and I would be fine. I'll never forget when she said "Look at this monitor. Your contractions are coming every 3 minutes. You are IN active labor. There is no need to worry."
Well, I decided to get checked at 5:00am, hoping that I had made some progress. I felt GREAT with how I was handling the contractions, and how optimistic I was. Things were going perfectly. When she checked me she explained that I hadn't made any progress. Maybe .5 cm....but I think she was being nice. She wanted to talk to my doctor (who was on call for another 2 hours) and see how to proceed. We went out to walk the halls. She came and found us and told us the doctor wanted to talk to us. He checked me again, and said that I hadn't changed from when I was admitted. He explained that he didn't feel comfortable giving me Pitocin or rupturing my water bag, since I was 38 weeks, and for some reason, by body didn't want to dilate. I knew he was doing this to protect me from unnecessary interventions, and increasing my risks of a c-section, infection, or needing pain medication. So, I am grateful. But at the time I was SO disappointed. I was so proud of myself for how I handled 9 hours of labor, but I was mad that I was being sent home, without a baby, still having contractions. The contractions stopped about 45 minutes after we got home and I was able to get some rest.
Although my doctor was going to be off shift soon, he was confident that I would be back in a matter of hours, in labor again. But, I wasn't. And I'm still not "In Labor" although I really don't know what that is anymore. Obviously my body is confused. So I was discharged at 5cm, 80% effaced. And that is probably what I'm still at today. I have an appt tomorrow, and I'll be discussing my concerns in regards to how fast my labor will go once it starts back up, and if I will have time to get my antibiotics. Which is very important to me.
On a happier note, my sister, brother in law, and their boys are here in town! We are excited that the baby held out for them! My grandpa is still holding onto his prediction that I am going to have her tomorrow, the 14th. So I guess we'll see.
Thanks for letting me get this out there. It's an experience that is definitely teaching me patience. I guess I needed it right?
Happy Blogging!
First, GOD BLESS you and your doctor!!! :) What a great respect for Baby Amie! :)
ReplyDeleteSecond, WOW. I've heard of labor stopping, but not very often. You poor woman... I mean, you go through all the trouble of learning what to look for, and then even that's not quite enough to say, "definitely!" Bodies are so funny... although I'm sure "funny" is about the last word you feel like applying to the situation, at the moment. I sure hope things pick up again for you, and I'm sure they will when little Amie decides she's all the way ready - also hoping you'll have time for your abx! Glad you have an appt. tomorrow so you can talk about your concerns, too - that'll be good.
And yay for family! :) Having them in town will make the time waiting for Baby go a lot quicker, I bet - and they're just awesome, enjoyable people, too! :) Enjoy the visit! :)
amazing! :) congrats!
ReplyDelete